About Me

Saturday, July 12, 2014

Follow the Path to Happiness

Camp IALAC 2014 is over.  It's only been two weeks but at times I feel like it never really happened.  As I was thinking about some of my favorite parts of camp (see the video below) I remembered the Silent Hike experience.  It was based on an article and I have added the link below if you would like to read the entire article. 

After an introduction almost 100 people walked silently through the woods to the campfire.  Along the path were four signposts:  Recognize Your Personal Worth; Become Who You Are; Trust In God's Promises; Come Unto Christ.  

We didn't talk much about this signpost.  At first glance it might be a little confusing.  We didn't talk much about the second signpost become who you are.  Here's what the author of the article had to say about this particular signpost:


"Becoming who you really are sounds like a paradox. How can I become who I already am? I will illustrate this principle through a story.  The film The Age of Reason tells the story of Marguerite, a prosperous banker who leads a hectic life filled with travels and conferences. Even though she has an adoring suitor, she says she doesn’t have time for marriage or children.  The day she turns 40 she receives a mysterious letter that says, “Dear me, today I am seven years old and I’m writing you this letter to help you remember the promises I made when I was seven, and also to remind you of what I want to become.” The author of the letter is none other than Marguerite when she was seven years old. What follows are several letters in which the little girl describes in detail her life’s goals.  Marguerite realizes that the person she has become is nothing like the person she wanted to become when she was a young girl. As she decides to reclaim the person she envisioned as a child, her life is turned upside down. She reconciles with her family and determines to consecrate the rest of her life to serving people in need.
If it were possible for you to receive a letter from your premortal life, what would it say? What impact would such a letter from a forgotten but very real world have on you if you were to receive it today?  This letter might say something like: “Dear me, I am writing to you so you will remember who I want to become. I hope you will remember that my greatest desire is to be a disciple of our Savior, Jesus Christ. I support His plan, and when I am on earth, I want to help Him in His work of salvation. Please also remember that I want to be part of a family that will be together for all eternity.”  One of the great adventures of life is finding out who we really are and where we came from and then consistently living in harmony with our true identity as children of God and with the purpose of our existence."
Tomorrow is Sunday which means church - taking the sacrament, listening to speakers, participating in lessons, singing hymns.  I love going to church and always have.   When I get home, feeling uplifted and positive, I think I'll take some time and write such a letter to myself... I wonder how I will measure up to the person I hoped that I would be before I came to this earth.  

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2014/06/young-adults/follow-the-path-of-happiness?lang=eng





No comments:

Post a Comment