About Me

Saturday, March 1, 2014

THREE OF THE C's OF LIFE


It is true.  I am retired.  It is nice.  I sleep late.  I goof off.   
So what's the problem?
Choices, Chances & Changes - yes, really.


Many of the choices that I have made in my life have been not because I wanted to make a choice but because I had to make a choice.  A financial crisis, serious illness, death of a loved one, bad choices of family members, working 1, 2, 3 jobs to pay bills and keep health insurance . . . need I go on?

Last May when Hospice of the Bluegrass laid off a number of social workers I chose to take the severance package and leave.  Retirement was on my mind, but I would have only made enough to cover my house payment had I drawn on myself.  But I went to the Social Security office to see what I would draw as Roger's widow.  Surprise - at the age of 62 (almost 63) I would make as much from widow's benefits as I would make if I continued to work until I was 70.  This wasn't a hard choice to make - I retired!

And to my surprise making choices probably more difficult now because I don't have to report to anyone about my choices.  So staying home all day because very easy.  No one really knows, do they?  I can stay pajamas all day, right?  I can eat what, when, where I want.  Ahhh - the freedom of making such simple choices.  

In January I realized that I am happiest when I am learning and experiencing new things.  In February I decided it was time to make more meaningful choices.  I chose to work on my budget, cut my expenses (still doing that), not teach at UK after this semester . . . making a choice that is all about chances and changes.  

Choice:  To begin the application process to serve a mission (Mormon Church)
Chance:  Leaving family, friends, familiar places and things and not choosing where I go but being willing to serve where I am called
Change:  New location, new people, new assignment, new rules

https://www.lds.org/callings/missionary?lang=eng

And, I shouldn't have to add this, but it is a really BIG leap of faith!

No comments:

Post a Comment