About Me

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Men with white hair, court, a pick up line . . .

In early January 2014 I received a summons to appear in District Court because I had written a $25 check in 2010 (it wasn't long after my second husband TC died) to Lexington Clinic and I guess it bounced.  I can't begin to remember writing that check and actually laughed when I saw the summons.  I have been to Lexington clinic many times over the past four years and no one has ever said I had an outstanding check.  Although my memory can be vague, I know I have gotten at least one check  from them for an overpayment.  I tried to contact them but only one person, who was on vacation, handles these checks that go to the County Attorney's office.  I couldn't find my records from four years ago.  My first day of classes January 16th and there didn't seem to be enough time to get everything done.  So on January 15th I went to the county attorney's office and paid for the check along with the fine. Sometimes time is money - - -  Imagine my surprise when the clerk said that I still had to go to court the next day, Thursday January 16th at 1 p.m.  My classes are at 2 and 3:30 on Thursdays.  I canceled the 2:00 class assuming that I would be done in time to get to the 3:30 class.

MY DAY IN COURT . . .
1.  Forgot my phone
2.  Walked into the district court room - following behind the Channel 18 news cameras (uh-oh)
3.  The room was filled already with attorneys standing in line along one wall
4.  We were told there were 160 cases on the docket
5.  The judge had really WHITE HAIR

OH MY GOSH . . .
1.  I found a young, brown-haired attorney to see if I was at the right place:  "Yes"
2.  I asked him how things would proceed:  "First, the clients with attorneys; second, those in jail who were waiting to be arraigned, then everyone else."
3.  So I questioned how long this would last - would I be through by three:  "I hate to give you another bit of bad news but this is the slowest judge we have."  It's the WHITE HAIR, you know.

I LEFT TO GO HOME AND GET MY PHONE . . .
I called my "go to in a crisis friend" Sheryl - she sent an e-mail to my  students cancelling class
I called the UK College of Social Work and Lynn in the front office (she seems to know everything) said that she would post a message on the door

BACK IN COURT . . .
1.  Watching the monitor where those in jail were talking to the judge
2.  Courtroom still full
3.  Began to read a kindle book on my I-phone (a really new experience for me)
4.  Missed my name being called
5.  All of a sudden, at 3:45, the last of the people got in line to see the judge
6.  Spoke to the guard who said she had called my name and why didn't I come up then
7.  The WHITE HAIRED gentleman behind me said "she was doing something with that toy she has"  I think he meant the phone
8.  I went before the WHITE  HAIRED judge
9.  He said "are you telling me that you have been on the lam for almost four years" he looked quite serious as he said "Case dismissed"

DECIDED TO GO TO THE GYM
1.  Remembered the WHITE HAIRED MAN at the gym who tried to start a conversation with me using the following "pick up line": "You're the first person I have ever seen sweat more than I do!"
2.  Didn't need to go to they gym to be reminded that "I'm only as old as I ... look."
3.  Sitting on the couch, watching old, retired cops solve crimes, happily reminding myself that at least I am not a WHITE HAIRED lady - - - thanks to KRISTIN the best hairstylist ever !


PROOF THAT MY HAIR IS NOT WHITE . . .

AND SINCE THIS IS A "SELFIE" CLEARLY I AM ONLY AS YOUNG AS I FEEL . . .

AND AS I POST THIS PICTURE JUST LIKE A YOUNGSTER I FEEL VERY, VERY YOUNG.

A LEAP OF FAITH?

No comments:

Post a Comment